Salary Range: $83,480.00 – $125,760.00
Responsible for directing, coordinating and administering activities related to recruiting and staffing, compensation administration, employee benefits and services, employee relations and communication, employee training and education, workman’s compensation, unemployment procedures, risk and loss management, payroll, and revision and administration of the Authority’s policies and procedures. Responsible for handling all patron and employee claims. Works frequently with confidential employee situations and information.
• Responsible for the overall coordination/direction of the Human Resources/Safety function for the MWA.
• Continuously strives to improve the overall skill levels of each department.
• Responsible for implementing systems to continuously monitor, measure, and improve performance in each area of the Human Resources Department.
• Sees that organizational training needs are identified and addressed.
• Works closely with legal counsel as needed on disciplinary actions and other related issues.
• Manages payroll and several employee benefit plans including retiree medical and pension.
• Responsible for succession planning/replacement planning in preparation of retiring employees.
• Prepares and manages an annual budget of nearly $400,000.
• Coordinates Medicare Part D Subsidy with third party administrators.
• Works closely with the Administrative staff regarding confidential employment issues and Authority policies.
• Manages and serves as the primary contact for the Authority’s risk management procedures including accident reporting, property loss reporting, and worker’s compensation claims.
• Makes recommendations to the Executive Director and the Board when updates and additions are required to the Authority’s Personnel policy manual and procedures to stay in legal compliance with newly created state and federal employment laws.
• Manages Authority investigations of employee policy or procedure violations and recommends disciplinary action, when appropriate, to Supervisors, Managers, and the Executive Director.
• Meets with attorney with regards to legal matters including EEOC hearings, Unemployment Compensation hearings and other legal matters. Works with attorney to compile the necessary documentation and strategies in preparation for employment related legal actions and hearings.
• Responsible for initiating benefit contract negotiations and the roll out of annual open enrollment procedures and notifications.
• Responsible for employment related activities to include recruitment compliance and administration of all Federal, State and Local laws and regulations such as Affirmative Action, OSHA, ERISA, FLSA, ADA, COBRA, HIPAA, Sexual Harassment, Discrimination, and Worker’s Compensation.
• Chairperson of the Employee Relations Committee.
• Administers the review and performance management process.
• Supervises the work of subordinate administrative / clerical staff; supervisory duties include instructing, planning and assigning work, reviewing work, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, acting on employee problems, assisting with the selection of new employees, and recommending employee discipline and discharge. Reviews the work of subordinates for completeness and accuracy; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for improvement; offers training, advice and assistance as needed.
• Other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director
•Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Psychology, or Business Administration is required. Master’s Degree is preferred. PHR/SPHR certification desirable.
• At least five years of direct human resources managerial experience in a comparable setting, preferably with a utility.
• Must be computer competent and posses the skill to proficiently operate programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
• Must have the ability to communicate effectively with all persons, both orally and in writing.
• Occasional bending and stooping.
• Occasional crouching, climbing, or balancing.
• Ability to lift to waist level, pull and push up to 40 pounds.
• Use of hands for simple grasping, writing, drawing, operating office equipment.
Apply in person at: 537 Hemlock Street.
(Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)